By Patricia Hall, Fairfax Family Fun
We know that many of our readers are looking forward to “Cars 3” when the movie is out in June 2017 (we want to see it, too!). If you can’t wait for the movie, here’s something to give you a little taste: Lightning McQueen and some of the other stars from Cars 3 are coming to town. Yup, the cars themselves will be near us!
Life-size lookalikes of Lightning McQueen, Cruz Ramirez, and Jackson Storm are doing a national tour in advance of the movie, set to be released on June 16. The tour is headed to 27 cities, and one is close to us: the Road to the Races free event visits downtown Silver Spring, Maryland, on Wednesday, May 10, from non to 5 pm with the last guest entry at 4 pm. The event sponsors along with Disney Pixar are Alamo, Coppertone, Crest, Oral-B, Dole, and Mattel, so there will be some fun surprises from them, too (see below).
Can’t make it to the event on a weekday afternoon? You can try instead for a visit to Philadelphia, its next stop closest to the Washington, DC, area. Sure, it’s two hours away, but it’s on the weekend and takes place over three days: Friday, May 12 (noon to 6 pm), Saturday, May 13 (10 am to 5 pm), and Sunday, May 14 (11 am to 5 pm); entry for all ends one hour prior to closing time. Mack Trucks, Inc. will transport the life-size character cars on the coast-to-coast tour. You can see the full national tour on this Disney site.
The tour is not just a photo opp but a chance to enjoy a play area, sample products, and learn about the history and science of racing:
- Alamo Rent A Car is hosting a street art booth and will bring “Cars 3” to life with a giant coloring mural featuring Lightning McQueen and friends, along with a color pencil pack souvenir.
- Coppertone is creating a racer pit crew that encourages visitors to take part in a tire-changing activity and photo-sharing opportunity.
- Crest and Oral-B celebrate the Road to the Races tour with an opportunity for fans to create a digital postcard with Lightning McQueen and win “Cars”-themed oral care prizes from the Piston Cup prize wheel.
- Dole will help visitors fuel up and recharge their batteries, sample high-octane fruit and vegetable smoothies, collect “Cars 3”-inspired recipes and discover how Dole and Disney are working together to make healthy living fun and easy for families (the company also is hosting a giveaway online for “Cars 3” prizes this summer at www.dole.com/Cars3).
- Mattel will host an interactive play area, which sends Lightning McQueen and other racers down the gravity drop and launches them into action in new play sets that feature locations from the movie. Also on display will be a collection of die cast racers from past and present.
Fans will be able to catch a sneak peek of the movie in the Cinetransformer Mobile Movie Theater and take photos with the life-size character cars. In addition, the sports national youth program NASCAR Acceleration Nation will display the science behind NASCAR racing, and elements from the NASCAR Hall of Fame will highlight the history of NASCAR.
See the official website for details. Please note that schedules are subject to change without notice, and attractions may be unavailable for unscheduled reasons.
Promotional image provided by Disney