FREE and Festive Family Fun – LOTS of choices remain now through the end of the year!
Looking for something to do during the holidays that is fun, family-friendly, and free in or near Fairfax County, Northern Virginia, or very close by? Look no further! Our list below has lots of ideas (at least two dozen!) for things to do with the family that are all free, right in our area or even right in your home! Please note: by “free” we mean events that you can do totally for free or that at least have no admission fees. Any extras such as donations, food or concessions, merchandise, parking, or other charges are not taken into account for the “free” label. As always, events may change (especially for inclement weather) so always confirm by going to the official event websites. We also have plenty more ideas for Christmas, Hanukkah, and other fun in our full annual Holiday Guide.
The following events in 2017 have NO admission fees… it’s all free family fun! Don’t forget to see our full Holiday Guide for plenty more ideas (with and without admission fees).
- View one of the holiday parades coming up Dec. 9
- Enjoy the TubaChristmas concert in Leesburg on Dec. 10
- Take free photos with Santa in Centerville on Dec. 10
- Roast marshmallows, play, visit farm animals, and see Santa (select weekends) at the Cox Farms Corner Market
- Enjoy free carriage rides in Manassas as part of “Merry Old Town” on Sundays now through Dec. 17
- Attend the National Menorah Lighting by the White House in DC on Dec. 12
- Enjoy many other large community menorah lightings and Chanukah festivals in Northern Virginia
- Take a free carriage ride with Santa in Burke on Dec. 16
- Enjoy kid-friendly activities, entertainment, shopping, and more at McLean Bible Church’s Christmas Village
- Relive the Christmas story at one of the many live nativity events in our area
- See Santa make his way on a fire truck through certain neighborhoods
- Enjoy beautiful lights and music at the Mormon Temple Festival of Lights in Maryland now through Dec. 31
- See the National Zoo in a new light at the ZooLights festival, now through Jan. 1
- Watch a spectacular tree show nightly at the Village at Leesburg
- Watch ice skaters glide under the pretty lights at the outdoor Reston Town Center ice rink
- While at the Reston Town Center, see the giant gingerbread village in Hyatt Regency hotel lobby (through Dec. 31)
- Find and check out elaborate home light displays in your neighborhood
- Revel in the excitement of the Water-skiing Santa in Old Town Alexandria Dec.24
- Go Christmas caroling with family and friends
- Learn about holidays around the world and adopt a new tradition
- Enjoy a magical display at the US Botanic Gardens “Seasons Greenings”now through Jan. 1
- Volunteer in your community with family and friends
- Enjoy a favorite or classic family film through the Freeform Channel 25 Days of Christmas
- Watch the “indoor falling snow” and nightly light show at the Gaylord National at National Harbor
- Enjoy free holiday concerts and movies on Saturdays on the Plaza at National Harbor
- Go see the National Christmas Tree in DC and enjoy free nightly evening entertainment
- Ring in the new year with a family-friendly New Year’s Eve celebration (some of the big ones are totally free!)
Find more holiday fun on our full Holiday Guide!