By Patricia Hall, FairfaxFamilyFun.com
BrickFair returns! LEGO builders of all levels, from kids at play to adults who create masterpieces from the tiny bricks, can each year look forward to a huge gathering in Chantilly. The BrickFair Expo, one of the region’s biggest gatherings of LEGO creations and vendors, features LEGO models, trains, and art and engineering displays. This year’s event takes place again at the Dulles Expo Center August 5-6, 2017.
This is a huge expo that brings together adult fans and vendors of LEGO from the United States, Canada, and beyond to show off their projects and products. All of the creations are built using LEGO bricks, and BrickFair organizers expect to have around 850 exhibitors, 90 tables of vendors, and more than 17,000 visitors. The displays range from cute little creations to towering cityscapes, put together by fans of all levels of experience. Even if you are not a huge fan of LEGO, the event is worth a visit if you can appreciate the creative and meticulous LEGO displays, amazing LEGO machines, miniature towns, and even detailed works of art all created from LEGO bricks.
BrickFair takes place 10 am to 5 pm on Saturday, and 10 am to 4 pm on Sunday. These are extended hours over last year’s schedule! Tickets are $15 at the door for either day, and free for guests age 3 and under. Advance tickets are a bit more at $17 for guests ages 4 and up, but they get you in the prepaid line and include a BrickFair exclusive, specially printed tile. And we have some FREE tickets for Fairfax Family Fun readers, following our tips below!
Here are some tips to help you enjoy BrickFair, based on event info and our own past visits:
- This is primarily a “look, don’t touch” event, so be sure your kids, especially very young ones, know this. That said, a few models are interactive/hands-on (these are clearly marked) and there is a Stay & Play area with many bricks for kids to enjoy free play, build structures, and race LEGO vehicles. There is also a moon bounce and some games.
- Strollers are NOT allowed at this event and you likely will do a lot of walking.
- BrickFair suggests allotting 90 minutes or more to enjoy the show, but if you have big LEGO fans in your family or want to browse the vendor tables, I recommend two or three hours, especially since the expo can get crowded.
- Vendors will have all sort of LEGO merchandise, including apparel, minifigures, custom-molded weapons, and unique models.
- The Dulles Expo Center has a concession stand, but if you want to avoid long lines, plan to eat before or after in one of the many restaurants (both fast-food and table-service ones) just outside the Expo Center.
- Lines to get into the expo can be really long, so arive early if you don’t pre-purchase tickets.
Win four tickets to BrickFair!
Fairfax Family Fun is teaming up with BrickFair to give away free tickets to two lucky winners! To enter, simply comment below and let us know what you look forward to the most about BrickFair. Each winner will receive a set of four free tickets (total value per set: $68) to attend BrickFair on Sunday, Aug. 6, 2017 (tickets are NOT valid for Saturday admission). Enter by 10 pm on Tuesday, July 25, 2017. The winners will be picked immediately after that and notified by email. The winners must reply by 10 pm on Wednesday, July 26, 2017, to claim the prize; failure to do so risks forfeiture. The winners will receive the tickets by regular U.S. Postal Service first-class mail to the address they provide. All persons who enter this giveaway agree to abide by our giveaway terms and conditions.
Images provided by BrickFair