Eclipse mania is in full swing! As the United States gets ready for the first coast-to-coast full solar eclipse in nearly 100 years, people are getting ready to witness this rare moment. Locally there will be special events where people will gather to see tfor this often once-in-a-lifetime event. Even Krispy Kreme has gotten in on eclipse mania with a special donut.
Many of these events advertised the distribution of free solar eclipse glasses, but they will be in limited supply. Some people who had bought their own eclipse viewers were shocked recently to find that Amazon had recalled many of them since they could not get their vendors to verify the source and hence the glasses’ safety. As stores started selling out of the glasses and organizations have run out of their free stash, finding safe glasses from a reputable source has been increasingly difficult. Some people are even selling them for far above their face value!
If you are one of the many people looking for glasses, we have a set of three for you! The glasses pictured below are manufactured by Rainbow Symphony and conform to ISO standard 12312-2. We got these glasses at the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum’s “Your Eclipse” event on Saturday, July 15, 2017. The museum was distributing these glasses for free (and continues to do so, though in very limited amounts) and the friends we got these for no longer need them. That means one lucky Fairfax Family Fun reader gets them!
To enter our giveaway, please note the very important terms below:
- We are passing on the glasses that we got from the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy Center; this is not a sale.
- We only have three to give away and will not be getting any more.
- This is a quick-turnaround giveaway and the winner MUST be able to pick up the glasses in person today, Aug. 19, 2017 (probably around 9 pm). Please do NOT enter this giveaway if you cannot pick these up in the Fairfax or Chantilly area (or have someone do so for you) tonight, as these will not be held for you.
- This giveaway is open to all persons ages 18 and up; by entering, you agree to our giveaway terms.
- One winner will be randomly chosen by a third-party app.
- To enter, leave a comment on our Facebook page before 7:30 pm on Aug. 19. The comments must be on that Facebook post to count. The winner will be chosen at that time and notified immediately, and must respond by 8 pm to claim the prize.
If you don’t win, don’t despair! You can still experience the eclipse with a special DIY viewer/projector!