By Patricia Hall, FairfaxFamilyFun.com
The annual Fairfax County 4-H Fair and Carnival, one of our area’s best festivals, is coming up later ! The event at Frying Pan Farm Park in Herndon takes place August 3-6, 2017. Over four days, you can enjoy 4-H exhibits, music, food, a touch-a-truck, carnival rides, a tractor pull, community vendors, and more. Admission is free, and parking is free the first two days.
The 4-H component alone has lots to see, including student exhibits on livestock and other animals, homemade products, farming, food and nutrition, and more. The event is a good way to learn about local agricultural efforts in our community and the people behind them, many of which are students and area youth. The are 17 different competition departments for arts, writing, food, farming, photography, and other projects, and you can see winning entries in the exhibit hall.
A big attraction of the annual 4-H Fair is the animals, of course. In addition to visiting the animals that call Frying Pan Park their home, you can see animals from the 4-H exhibits and participate in educational demos. There also will be old-fashioned games such as a pie-eating and seed-spitting contests and a balloon toss. If carnival rides are the big draw for you, there will be dozens of them to enjoy (you also can save with a discount for rides on Thursday and Friday and the Unlimited Carnival Ride Pass for $18 on Saturday and Sunday, a savings of $7 per pass).
Here are some highlights of the Fairfax 4-H Fair:
- 4-H exhibits and animal shows 9 am to 9 pm on Saturday, August 5 and 9 am to 5 pm on Sunday, August 6
- The Big Truck Night, 5-8 pm on Friday, with a touch-a-truck and a “no-horn hour” 5-6 pm
- Live entertainment on Thursday night at 7:30 pm and throughout the day on the Community Stage on Saturday and Sunday
- A tractor pull 4 pm on Saturday in the Lower Ring
- A “Parade of Champions” for winners of the fair 4:30 pm on Sunday at the Indoor Arena
- Old-fashioned games on the Community Stage 1-3 pm on Saturday
- Carnival rides 10 am to 3 pm on Thursday and Friday, 10 am to 9 pm on Saturday, and 10 am to 6 pm on Sunday
Admission to the Fairfax 4-H fair is free. Parking is free Thursday and Friday, and $8 on Saturday and Sunday. Leashed dogs are welcome at the event.